Monday, February 25, 2008

Me and My Big Mouth




The above picture is where I swam last year in Bangkok, Thailand...25 meters on the 20th floor of the Marriott Mayfair. I would have the whole thing to myself at 6am -- sweeeeeet :)

I’ve gotten suckered – into blogging that is. There is no one to blame but myself. As you may have noticed, I enjoy getting things off my chest and writing is a natural outlet. I thought at some point I might run out of things to talk about, but that has not happened. In fact the opposite has occurred – I have no less than 10 posts “started” in draft mode, waiting to be completed and published on this site. Tons going on upstairs in my overactive brain! :)

This morning I was talking to my coach about Masters swimming and how I’m feeling pretty good getting back into the water after my septum surgery a couple weeks ago.

Here’s a snippet of the conversation (I’m Voice Dawg):

Voice Dawg : I saw the tri-bloggers swim challenge - nice! :) Someday in the not too distant future :)

Coach Jen : Oh, you could do that. Would you like to? I can write the 100s off a time for you...you'd have to skip masters 1 day for it?!

Voice Dawg : 40 x 100s??? um...sure... ;)

Coach Jen : You could do it.....! Do you want to??? CHALLENGED?

Voice Dawg : Man, I'm sorry I brought it up...kinda... :)

Coach Jen : Hee hee.....you must be interested if you brought it up. OK, let's do it next Friday. I will work on the splits for you...and add them in for Next FRIDAY. Done.....YEAHHHHHaw. :) Why don't you blog on Pendergraham's blog and tell her! So, you can be accountable to all of us. ha

Voice Dawg : You guys are all sub-1:30!!

Coach Jen : So.....? What is your point? HAHA And not everyone is sub 1.30...trust me...just the ones blogging about it are...

Voice Dawg : I'll do it :).

Coach Jen : YES! Ok, plan on it...next Friday.

Coach Jen : GO big or stay home.

Voice Dawg : Yeah, you can't be in the "recliner-zone" all the time :)

Coach Jen : HA! :)

Voice Dawg : My next post will be titled "Me and My Big Mouth" :)

Coach Jen : OH GOOD one...and yes it should be...but that is why we called it a CHALLENGE!!!!!! right?

Voice Dawg : No doubt :) I'm suddenly hungry just thinking about it...I'm going to get some vittles. Have an awesome day!

Coach Jen : Hee hee...thank you! YOU TOO!!! :) bye bye, Ms. Swimmer/Triathlete!

Voice Dawg : Such a nice ring to it :)


So, this Friday I’m up for 40 x 100 yard intervals. With a 200 yard cooldown, that’s 4,200 yards of total swimming. I haven’t swum this distance since last summer when training for Ironman. If you want a real mindbender, 40 is more or less the entry-level challenge. I’ve seen 75 and one of Elizabeth’s latest posts is from a swim practice where they did 100 x 100!!

Jen said “Go BIG or stay home.”

She’s right – if I want to improve I’ll have to push the envelope. This is no time to stay in the “recliner-zone”…no such thing as Iron-Sissy’s :). There was a time not too long ago when I looked at “suggested” workouts on those whiteboards they sometimes have at pools. Some of them were 2200 yards or 2800 yards and I would think “Yikes! That is LONG…”

Man, that seems like AGES ago…

Me and my big mouth…hee hee :).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHHA! I love your blog, Catherine! And, you are SOOOO in on Friday AM...we are all rooting for you!! Then, you can tell us how it went. We will read your blog from HTFU camp! :) GO GO GO
JEN H.