Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Three D's: Dig Double Deep - Timberman 70.3 Race Report

Kristin (left) and I minutes before Timberman Start - I'm licking off the remnants of the Clif Bar that would later give me fits during the race :).

“No, we don’t have anything like that here,” said the lady in response to my query of whether the town of Laconia, NH boasted an IHOP or Denny’s. “But there are three Dunkin’ Donuts nearby…”

No way!!

Way!!

Nice. I knew Dunkin’ Donuts had at least expanded their menu to bagels and they have AWESOME coffee. Where there are bagels, there is usually peanut butter, and I had plenty of Clif bars to fill in the gaps if necessary for a pre-race meal Sunday morning.

As it turned out my rabbit food wouldn’t need to pinch hit that day. Dunkin’ Donuts is making a serious effort to introduce “healthier” choices – funny for a sweets-mainstay of a company with “donuts” in their name isn’t it? – and they mean business. Sure enough, at 4:00am their doors were open, lights were on, clerks were friendly and efficient. Steve and I walked away with coffee, juice, grain bagels, peanut butter, and a delightful flatbread sandwich of egg whites, a sprinkling of turkey sausage, and some skim mozzarella. This was no greasy McDonald’s egg and cheese sandwich. It was “dry” and just the right size and combination of the right nutrients for a pre-race meal.

I downed the triangle at 4:50am sitting in the parking lot at the race site. Though the dawn was coming, it was still dark and the transition area was not very well lit in my corner, so I relaxed for a few minutes in the car with Steve and sipped my coffee. Still more than 2 hours til Start and I had already racked my bike the night before and tested the water (with my new wetsuit – woohoo!).

I had done my homework and prepared well for this race – well almost (more later). Steve, my supersonic-triathlete-friend Kristin, and I had driven the bike course the day before, and of course it looked tough. I’ve come to accept that none of these races are “easy.” But at least we knew what to expect and where.

I mixed my special potion of Carbo Pro with water and Gatorade. Carbo Pro is a white powder that contains complex carbs to help maintain calorie intake on the bike and/or run without having to eat solid foods that could upset the stomach. It also strongly resembles cocaine in its appearance and I find that rather funny. Since I don’t pay extravagant amounts of attention to self-image and, hence, like to mess with those who do, I’ve often thought about (very visibly) dipping my pinkie finger into my baggie of “white powder” before a race and rubbing it on my gums, maybe “accidentally” get some above my lip – just to see what people around me would do.

But, alas, not today. Like Dunkin’ Donuts new healthy menu, today’s race was serious business and I needed to focus.

I went to find Kristin, and we blasted out on our bikes for a quick warmup on the run course. Good thing we did so I could see where the early porta-potties were – more on that too.

After we got back, we got into our wetsuits and Steve took some pictures. It was time to walk to the swim start so the three of us hiked along the sandy beach along with a couple thousand other lemmings, I mean people, to the Start :).

There was a Clif tent on the beach and the rep was giving out free Shots and Shot Bloks. Kristin and I looked at the flavors. Hmmm…espresso…2x caffeine…one of my favorite GU (competitor brand) flavors and one I reacted to very well. I was thinking Clif might taste the same, maybe? I grabbed one, tore it open, and took some.

I wasn’t hungry at all (the sandwich filled me nicely) and instantly I remembered why I’ve never connected with Clif’s flavors. It tasted terrible but by then it was too late – I’d eaten it all. There was no water to wash it down either.

Beeg Meestake Number 1 – Never ever EVER eat within 30 minutes of the swim start. I did this at Memphis – one would think I learned my lesson.

I regretted it 20 minutes into the swim. The same lump rose in my throat as it did at Memphis and it would be a constant struggle the rest of the race.

My swim wave was crowded and I often ran into the feet of someone ahead of me. This is something new this year. Usually it’s been the opposite: someone runs into (sometimes over) me from behind.

This time a person’s leg bumped the side of my face and knocked my goggles clean off. It didn’t hurt and I reacted quickly, raising my head above the water and adjusting them back onto my face.

I made the final turn, rolled to breathe, and promptly gulped in a mouthful of water – the water was rough and it was impossible to breathe on my right side. I very briefly rolled onto my back to clear my nose and another’s swimmer’s hand came across my face and clipped me right under the nose. Gahhh!!!

Finish this swim and get out there on your steed! I thought to myself. I clawed my way to the shore and tore into transition, the pain in my throat already showing its bad ugly self. Why did I eat that Clif Shot? What was I thinking?? I scolded myself for being so casual about deviating from what I knew to be right.

Right out of the park the bike course turned into a long climb but surprisingly I wasn’t too bothered by it. I knew it was coming and I alternated between standing and staying seated, which uses different muscle groups and spreads out the load. I learned this from riding with Kristin, and it has had a significant impact on my mental approach to hills overall. Thanks Kristin! :)

By Mile 30 the painful reflux in my throat was becoming more persistent. Drinking or eating anything was nearly out of the question and I had to force myself to do it. Instead, pulling over to force myself to hurl was looking pretty good. Anything to move whatever was sitting in there.

The course was hilly but it didn’t seem as bad as Ironman Kansas. Maybe it was all the people, the support and traffic control on the road, the road conditions themselves – all of it was wonderful and it helped me deal with the challenges at every turn.

At one point we were screaming down one of many hills, and I actually peeked at my bike computer – 45 mph. I nearly soiled myself. A crash at this speed wouldn’t leave much of me to clean up. But halfway down I pushed away any doubts and screamed YEEEHAAWWWW!!! with childish glee (or utter terror?)…I don’t remember. I just tucked my knees into my frame, got down into my aerobars and flew past people who were tapping their brakes. I could see all the way down to the bottom and it was clear sailing the whole way. No brake-tapping for me…

After Mile 40 I looked at my watch and realized if I held on for just a bit longer I would actually come in under my goal time. And I did! I could’ve lain down on the grass – I was happy with just my bike time. Amazing what the mind can drive the body to do despite being sicker than a dog.

Once on the run I had delayed puking til I saw the first porta-potty. Kristin and I had warmed up on the run course, so I knew exactly where it was.

It’s one thing to sit down in a porta-potty to do business. It’s another thing entirely to bend over and vomit into one. I had seen Kristin on the run course as she was starting her second loop. I told her I was sick, and she said what I needed to hear “Do what you gotta do to finish.” Her words came back to me as I stood inside the porta-potty. Just close your eyes and do what you gotta do…you don’t want to WALK the whole run course do you????

I made myself wretch and felt a bit better as I came out. I jogged a few miles and the pain began to make its way back after Mile 5. Man, 8 more miles to go…the letters DNF (Did Not Finish) danced in front of me like a dark-chocolate sundae with dark hot fudge sauce…seriously tempting. It wasn’t that I couldn’t finish, I simply didn’t want to resort to walking the course.

At Mile 9 an aid station had banana slices and I took some. The pain actually abated a bit, and I could lightly jog. I upped my cadence and opened my stride a bit more. So far so good.

When I reached Mile 11 I was hurting again, but there was music playing up ahead. It was U2’s In the Name of Love and it was loud and the best thing I had heard all day. I began weeping (of all things) and said to myself Puke or not, you’re GOING!!

I ran the rest of the way to the Finish and this was a BIG race with hundreds of people on the sidelines. Our names were printed on our bibs so people could shout your name as they cheered you on. Total strangers yelled Go Catherine! as I sailed by.

I ran while weeping and forgot about the pain, the hurling, hot spots on my feet, my body nearly emptied out of physical and emotional strength – and just poured out whatever I had left.

I crossed the Finish crying my eyes out and there were Steve and Kristin. I hugged them both, so glad I had dug DEEP to FINISH and didn’t give in to DNF.

There will definitely be other days adversity comes to take me down. Not today. I dug deep alright, and just when the demons thought I would give in, I buried them instead :).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were a tough cookie getting thru Timberman, Catherine! :)) Good work! Jen H.

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you cross the finish line! No DNF for you!!
Kristin M.

Anonymous said...

You are one amazing woman :). Kudos for finishing well at Timberman. Although you're out of my league when it comes to physical discipline and determination, it's a blast to run with you in the race that matters for eternity. Keep applying the same passion you have for physical training to your spiritual race. Remember the great cloud of witnesses who are cheering you on to the finish line!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome and I am soooo proud of you :*
Your very own ASM1